XHTML live Chat based on the XMLHttpRequest Object (ajax)
Works in latest IE(win), Firefox and Safari.
As a chat it would be more intuitive if the layout was following the usual chat scheme: input at the bottom, history moving upwards.
The frequent update cycles should be intelligent (i.e. slow down if nothing has changed or switch into a pause mode)
Where do we go from here?
Apart from this being a chat I can think of some more (even more useful?) applications:
- An advanced comment function for blogs offering immediate communication between users.
- An advanced shoutbox.
- A live single/multi-user publishing system.
- A XHTML Broadcasting tool for live coverage of events.
I have used the following resources:
- Guide to Using XMLHttpRequest (with Baby Steps)
Providing all you need to know about XMLHttpRequest.
Creative Commons License
- Alex:Hello there! Visit me at kohlhofer.com.